Los Angeles News
Eric Garcetti nominates Marcie Edwards to head LADWP
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power will soon have a new general manager.
Mayor Eric Garcetti on Thursday nominated Marcie Edwards to head the water agency. Edwards is currently the Anaheim City Manager. Prior to that, she ran Anaheim Public Utilities for 13 years.
"Marcie Edwards has the toughness and expertise necessary to take on the status quo at the DWP and deliver real, lasting change for DWP customers," Garcetti said in a statement.
If confirmed by the City Council, Edwards will become the first woman to head the giant utility in Los Angeles.
''The time is now to shed the bureaucratic insulation that impedes forward progress and replace it with an agile, risk tolerant, cost effect agency, one that is comfortable with transparency and willing to allow employees to do their best work," said Edwards.
The utility's new leader will be taking over at a difficult time. The utility currently is under fire because of glitches in a new $162-million computerized billing system and $40 million in mishandled funds.
department of water and power, los angeles news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 42 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum 55 min ago
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry