Los Angeles News
Super Bowl DUI patrols underway in Southland
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles Police Department has begun cracking down on impaired drivers enjoying early Super Bowl celebrations.
Twelve arrests were made at a DUI checkpoint in Reseda Saturday./p>
More than 800 people lost their lives in California in 2012 due to alcohol-impaired crashes, and the big game is a big time to party. According to AAA, accidents involving drunk drivers go up 75 percent in California on Super Bowl Sunday compared to other Sundays in January.
Last year, West Valley traffic made more than 2,600 DUI arrests. Some of them were caught in check points like the one in Reseda.
The LAPD is also launching several saturation patrols across the city following the Super Bowl.
"We're trying to warn the public that we're going to be out here proactively looking for you if you're drinking and driving and you will go to jail," said LAPD Sgt. Greg Fuqua.
.The LAPD has a zero tolerace policy.
"We encourage people, like I said, for people to enjoy the game but drink responsibly. If you're going to consume alcoholic type beverages today, designate a driver, don't drive, stay home or consider some alternative type of transportation, get a taxi cab, or like I said, a designated driver or some other mode of transportation," said LAPD Lt. Ray Valois.
DUI convictions cost $10,000 in court and legal fees, and your license will automatically be suspended for a year.
dui, arrest, los angeles news
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured 51 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash
- Malaysia missing jet may have turned back
- 2 persons of interest sought in LB attack
- Bees attack 71-year-old woman in Palm Desert
- IE WWII Medal of Honor recipient laid to rest
- L.A. man wanted in attempted Banksy theft
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years 21 min ago
- Obama to preserve California federal lands
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video