Los Angeles News
'Octomom' Nadya Suleman facing another welfare fraud charge
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- "Octomom" Nadya Suleman was charged with another count of welfare fraud after prosecutors discovered more wrongly collected funds.
Prosecutors filed the fourth fraud charge on Wednesday after they said the mother of 14 wrongly collected an additional $10,000 in Medi-Cal benefits from the state.
Last month, Suleman was charged with three counts of fraud after authorities said she didn't disclose approximately $30,000 in earnings from personal appearances and videos when she applied for welfare last year.
At the time, they said Suleman owed the state about $16,000. With Wednesday's charge, that amount rises to about $26,000.
Suleman became famous in 2009 by giving birth to octuplets. The children celebrated their fifth birthday last month.
The 38-year-old was originally charged with one count of aid by misrepresentation and two counts of perjury by false application for aid. The additional count filed Wednesday was another of aid by misrepresentation.
If convicted, Suleman faces up to six years, four months in jail. However, prosecutors said she could stay out of jail if she pays back the money she owes.
Suleman was released on her own recognizance after she pleaded not guilty to the original charges. She has been ordered to return to court March 11 for a pretrial hearing, and the Los Angeles County district attorney's office said she would be arraigned on the fourth count then.
court case, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines flight goes missing 1 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 48 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 52 min ago
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months