Los Angeles News
Dog named Indy burned by fireworks: Suspect in custody
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Police have a suspect in custody in connection with a vicious Fourth of July attack on a pit bull named Indy.
Carlos Duarte, 41, was arrested in North Hollywood on Wednesday. Duarte could face a felony charge of animal cruelty.
Indy nearly died from severe burns suffered after someone strapped fireworks to him on the Fourth of July and lit them.
A man was seen dumping the injured dog in a Winnetka alley. The LAPD released video of the suspect's truck and eventually located it.
Indy has also found someone to love in the place where he was nursed back to health. Jenny Mandel, a worker at the Westlake Village Animal Hospital, adopted the affectionate pit bull. She was having a rough day when she made up her mind.
"So I went back to Indy's cage and I was really upset, and he was loving me and hugging me, and I thought, if he can rescue me I can rescue him," said Mandel.
Indy was burned on his legs and paws and underwent four major surgeries. After several months of recovery, he's in good health.
"He's got a decreased amount of mobility. He still walks normally, does everything normally, but he's got a smaller muscle mass now. So he doesn't last that long," said Mandel.
So many people expressed concern and support for Indy that Mandel started a Facebook page called Indy Kisses.
Mandel says news of the suspect being in custody has helped bring justice, but Indy's recovery is the best revenge.
"When I found out the news today, the way that I really feel about the whole situation is revenge versus justice. And I think the best revenge is a life lived well," said Mandel.
The cruelty Indy endured hasn't changed his spirit.
"I think there's really something special about him," said Mandel.
animal news, arrest, los angeles news, amy powell
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 21 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought 6 min ago
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street 43 min ago
- Lancaster fight leads to double stabbing
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere