Los Angeles News
NHRA Winternationals: Ron Capps survives massive explosion in Pomona
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A car exploded and caught fire during the Winternationals in Pomona. Driver Ron Capps told Eyewitness News about his survival story.
Southern California is the home of hot rod car racing. The National Hot Rod Association's Winter Nationals got underway with a frightening and spectacular explosion at the Auto Club Raceway on Friday.
Capps, driving the Napa Auto Parts Funny Car, was approaching 300 mph when his car suddenly exploded and came apart.
The blast was captured from multiple angles. There was even a camera inside the car that shows what it looked like from Capps' point of view.
When the race car came to a stop, Capps was helped out of the destroyed vehicle by emergency response crews. Incredibly, he walked away from the wreckage and is OK.
"At first you're not sure what exactly is going on. All of a sudden, the race car you're driving is a convertible, and you see sky and flames and pieces flying," Capps described. "It sort of takes you a minute to figure out where you're at. I thought, am I on the 405? Am I on the 5? Where am I? Then all these safety trucks start rolling up."
As for the car, the body is now just a $50,000 crumpled mess. But unbelievably, the engine and the rest of the car are prepped and awaits Capps' next race. Race officials say the problem was a backfire in the super charger with just minor damage to the engine.
amazing video, pomona, fire, explosion, caught on tape, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 21 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M 43 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Elisabeth Moss: Armisen marriage 'traumatic'