Los Angeles News
LAPD officer injured in Reseda shooting, suspect in custody
RESEDA, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Los Angeles police officer was wounded in a shooting in the Reseda area on Monday morning.
Police responded to a call of an assault with a deadly weapon in progress on the 7100 block of Yolanda Avenue in Reseda around 9:30 a.m., according to LAPD Commander Andrew Smith. When officers arrived, they found a male victim who had been shot once in the arm and once in the leg.
Officers were directed by citizens to the suspect fleeing on foot. They confronted the suspect, identified only as a 49-year-old male, who turned and fired multiple rounds at the police officers in their vehicle, Smith said. One officer, a seven-year LAPD veteran, sustained an injury to his right arm, however it was unclear if the injury was caused by a bullet, a bullet fragment or a fragment from the vehicle.
The suspect was taken into custody. Smith said a semi-automatic handgun was recovered.
The officer was transported to Northridge Hospital Medical Center in good condition. He has since been released. The victim was also transported to the hospital, where he is recovering from his gunshot wounds.
It was unclear what led to the initial shooting or what relationship the men had.
Jose Quinonez, a witness, said he heard the shots, called 911, and then rushed to help the victim. Quinonez said he saw the shooter walk by with a gun in his hand and a pit bull by his side.
Several schools in the area, including Reseda Elementary, were locked down and some streets were closed during the investigation.
san fernando valley, officer-involved shooting, shooting, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks