Los Angeles News
Rosemead school attack suspect sketch released
ROSEMEAD, Calif. (KABC) -- Sheriff's deputies are expanding their search for a man accused of attacking a young girl at a Rosemead school.
The incident occurred Jan. 30 at about 3:30 p.m. at Arlene Bitely Elementary School. Investigators say the suspect entered the school grounds and approached an 11-year-old girl from behind. That's when authorities say the man grabbed the girl's shirt collar.
When the girl turned around and realized it was a stranger, she broke free from his grasp and ran away. Authorities say the girl did exactly what she needed to do in such a situation.
"The young girl acted very swiftly by recognizing that he didn't belong there and was a stranger to her, and she fled and got away," said Lt. William Wicker with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The suspect immediate fled the scene after the ran from him.
The suspect is described as possibly Filipino, about 40 to 50 years old, approximately 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighing about 160 pounds. He has long, stringy, black hair, a thin mustache and has scratches on his left cheek. He was last seen wearing a white tank top, dirty blue jeans and was barefoot.
School and district administrators have added extra safety precautions at the school and are urging parents to also take extra precautions.
Please walk with your children to school, or if you're not able to, have your children walk in groups," said Virginia Peterson, an interim superintendent of the Garvey School District. "We don't want children alone out on the street."
Parent Ebony Hammond said she told her daughter to keep an eye out, not talk to stranger and tell faculty if she sees something out of place.
If you have any information about this suspect, you're urged to contact LA Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
school, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants