Los Angeles News
LA light rail gets $670 million for 'regional connector'
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The Los Angeles light rail system is getting $670 million for a "regional connector" that will finally allow riders to travel from one side of downtown to the other.
The connector line will tie together the Gold Line, Blue Line and the Expo Line with a new tunnel and three new stations.
The 1.9-mile underground connection will give Metro riders the ability to take light-rail trips between Azusa and Long Beach, and from the San Gabriel Valley and East Los Angeles to Santa Monica, without transferring.
The connector line will cost approximately $1.4 billion; the balance will come from U.S. Department of Transportation loans, state money and local sales tax receipts.
"In order to stimulate our economy, in order to get people back to work, you have to invest, and one of the best investments is in our transportation and our infrastructure," said Rep. Lucille Roybal-Allard (D-Commerce).
The route will traverse downtown Los Angeles along Second and Flower streets, joining the Little Tokyo/Arts District station with the 7th Street/Metro Center station.
Construction on the project is expected to begin later this year, and if all goes well, the project would open in 2020.
The Associated Press and City News Service contributed to this report.
los angeles news
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run 44 min ago
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Child welfare system 'in crisis': Commission
- OC school band chosen to march in Rose Parade
- Reward offered in Long Beach pelican attack
- SD police guns stolen during LA charity game
- Aereo case: Justices skeptical, concerned
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet 35 min ago
- abcnews: Man accused of killing teens who entered home
- South Korea ferry accident death toll now 135
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- Zadan, Meron to produce Oscars for 3rd year
- OTRC: Drew Barrymore gives birth to baby No. 2