Man found shot in head in quiet O.C. area
BREA, Calif. (KABC) -- People want to live in the city of Brea in Orange County because of the good schools and the safe neighborhoods, but residents were shocked on Monday to find a man was shot to death.
Police responded to a call at about 10:40 p.m. and found a man lying dead in the middle of the street on the 600 block of South Pine Avenue. He had a gunshot wound to his head.
Witnesses said they saw a white van leave the scene at the time of the shooting. One resident said she heard just one shot.
"Brea itself is a very safe community, and this is very unusual for something like this to happen in our city," said Sgt. Bill Smyser from the Brea Police Department.
"We're taking this very, very seriously. I don't recall in my career of anything happening of this magnitude down in this area," he said.
The victim has only been identified as a male Hispanic.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Brea Police Department at (714) 990-7611.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM ORANGE COUNTY
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
orange county, sid garcia
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 9 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup 2014: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany 40 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple 24 min ago
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
11 min ago