Man found shot in head in quiet O.C. area
BREA, Calif. (KABC) -- People want to live in the city of Brea in Orange County because of the good schools and the safe neighborhoods, but residents were shocked on Monday to find a man was shot to death.
Police responded to a call at about 10:40 p.m. and found a man lying dead in the middle of the street on the 600 block of South Pine Avenue. He had a gunshot wound to his head.
Witnesses said they saw a white van leave the scene at the time of the shooting. One resident said she heard just one shot.
"Brea itself is a very safe community, and this is very unusual for something like this to happen in our city," said Sgt. Bill Smyser from the Brea Police Department.
"We're taking this very, very seriously. I don't recall in my career of anything happening of this magnitude down in this area," he said.
The victim has only been identified as a male Hispanic.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Brea Police Department at (714) 990-7611.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM ORANGE COUNTY
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
orange county, sid garcia
- Missing jet flew for 6+ hrs after contact drop 50 min ago
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Gorman brush fire: Crews gaining upper hand
- Woman's remains, clothes found at Orange County wilderness park
- Earthquake w/ mag-3.9 rattles Castaic area
- Woman, horse rescued at Angeles Nat'l Forest
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center 22 min ago
- abcnews: NJ mom who hired hit man speaks out
- Honda Odysseys recalled amid fuel leak fears
- Ukraine: Russian forces move outside Crimea 28 min ago
- Green cars for rent at niche LA-based company
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Salt water treatment helps rare lung disease
40 min ago