'Mysterious boom' may have been sonic
ORANGE, Calif. (KABC) -- That "mysterious boom" rattled a lot of nerves and a lot of windows Tuesday night. Local authorities were swamped with phone calls from anxious residents. Orange County seems to have gotten the worst of it.
Some people say it felt like an earthquake, although they say their homes didn't shake, but they heard rattling of doors and windows. Others thought someone was trying to break in to their homes.
Morning coffee in Placentia and the talk centers around what happened Tuesday night. Thousands of people in Orange County felt something between 9 and 9:30 p.m.
"At about 9 o'clock, I'd say, there was a mild shaking," said Fullerton resident Daniel Ungerleider. "I felt my windows rattling a lot, and it was only for about 10 seconds."
A number of law enforcement agencies logged calls at the same time Tuesday night.
"Most of the people, it was that somebody was either jiggling the door knob, or the door itself, or there was some movement on the window making them believe that there was a prowler," said Sgt. Rick Martinez, Anaheim Police Dept.
"I was just sitting there with my roommate watching TV, and all of a sudden it was just like, I heard my windows shaking and we were kind of moving a little bit and I looked at her and I was like, 'Was that an earthquake?'," said Fullerton resident Olivia Vazques. "She's like, 'I don't know.'"
According to U.S. Geological Survey officials, they did not record any earthquakes Tuesday night that would be felt across the county. The National Weather Service says there were no reports of strong wind or unusual weather.
"I've seen a lot of action in the sky. You know, a lot of rocket, kind of missile-looking kind of things going on," said Placentia resident Laura Meloni.
After reviewing data, USGS officials say what they believe rattled windows did in fact come from the sky, a sonic boom likely caused by a high-speed jet.
Officials say it was likely a military jet. They are capable of producing a sonic boom, breaking the sound barrier. But where exactly that jet came from and what was it doing still isn't clear.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM ORANGE COUNTY
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
orange county, eileen frere
- TWA Flight 800 documentary hints at cover-up
- West Hills murder suspect to appear in court
- Metro Red, Purple lines now requires TAP card
- Journalist Michael Hastings dies in LA crash
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Inland Empire 49 min ago
- Woman sought in Santa Ana Chase Bank robbery
- Ex-LA deputy alleges corruption in department
- Ex-USC professor on FBI wanted list arrested
- Fed says it will maintain bond purchase pace 39 min ago
- abcnews: Marine returns from war as underwear model
- Natura recalls pet food after salmonella test
- Paris, Prince Jackson refute chef's testimony
- James Franco seeks $500K to bankroll movies 24 min ago
- OTRC: 'Anchorman 2' new trailer (Video)