Suleman wants to trademark 'Octomom'
LA HABRA, Calif. (KABC) -- Nadya Suleman is embracing the "Octomom" label.
Some media outlets began using the moniker for Suleman after she gave birth to eight babies in January. According to her attorney Jeff Czech, Suleman now wants to trademark the name to earn licensing fees that could produce income to support her family of 14.
"She doesn't particularly care for the name, but she thinks it's a good idea to protect it," Czech told the Associated Press on Wednesday. "She has a sense of humor about it."
Suleman filed two applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on April 10, saying she wants to put the "Octomom" name on television programs, clothing and disposable and cloth diapers. According to her attorney,
Suleman has been approached by two people who want to create children's products such as clothes and dolls. The birth of Suleman's octuplets on January 26 captured attention worldwide. But Suleman soon became the focus of criticism as her personal story was revealed.
The divorced and unemployed mother had all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization. Soon after, tabloids began calling Suleman "Octomom."
Czech says a Texas company called Super Happy Fun Fun, Inc. has also filed a trademark application for the "Octomom" name.
The company's website describes a game in which players press on "Fertyle Myrtle's swollen belly and another adorable bundle of joy will be brought into the world."
Typically, the first application receives the right to use the name, Suleman's attorney said.
"But in this case, it's more than just a name. It's become a person, " Czech said. "When it becomes so associated with a name or a person, it is protectable."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM ORANGE COUNTY
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 36 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested 2 min ago
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)