Suleman wants to trademark 'Octomom'
LA HABRA, Calif. (KABC) -- Nadya Suleman is embracing the "Octomom" label.
Some media outlets began using the moniker for Suleman after she gave birth to eight babies in January. According to her attorney Jeff Czech, Suleman now wants to trademark the name to earn licensing fees that could produce income to support her family of 14.
"She doesn't particularly care for the name, but she thinks it's a good idea to protect it," Czech told the Associated Press on Wednesday. "She has a sense of humor about it."
Suleman filed two applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on April 10, saying she wants to put the "Octomom" name on television programs, clothing and disposable and cloth diapers. According to her attorney,
Suleman has been approached by two people who want to create children's products such as clothes and dolls. The birth of Suleman's octuplets on January 26 captured attention worldwide. But Suleman soon became the focus of criticism as her personal story was revealed.
The divorced and unemployed mother had all 14 of her children through in vitro fertilization. Soon after, tabloids began calling Suleman "Octomom."
Czech says a Texas company called Super Happy Fun Fun, Inc. has also filed a trademark application for the "Octomom" name.
The company's website describes a game in which players press on "Fertyle Myrtle's swollen belly and another adorable bundle of joy will be brought into the world."
Typically, the first application receives the right to use the name, Suleman's attorney said.
"But in this case, it's more than just a name. It's become a person, " Czech said. "When it becomes so associated with a name or a person, it is protectable."
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
MORE LOCAL HEADLINES FROM ORANGE COUNTY
SEND TIP || REPORT TYPO || TWEET @abc7 || WIDGET
- 4.4-magnitude earthquake strikes LA area 6 min ago
- Body found at Anaheim trash center identified
- Man high on meth terrorizes Covina family
- Russia calls on Ukraine to be a federal state
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Santa Monica building fire leaves 5 people hurt
- Male remains found in Gorman - investigators
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- abcnews: Delta plane loses part of wing mid-air
- Oprah to sell Harpo Studios for $32 million
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians