Orange County News
Man arrested for abuse after boy's death
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A father from Orange County is dealing with the death of his young son while the mother's boyfriend is in custody in connection with the death.
Chau Le flips through photos of his 2-year-old son, Fox, from last week, the last trip they would take together to the beach.
"My son was so wonderful. He was such a joyful kid," says Le.
Fox died Friday, at the hospital after police received a call to the boy's home in Garden Grove.
"When the officers arrived, they found a 2-year-old, with his face covered in blood," said Lt. Travis Whitman, Garden Grove Police Department.
The exact cause of death has not yet been released, but police arrested 27-year-old Lae Thongphun for child abuse. He is the boyfriend of the child's mother, who investigators allege was caring for him at the time.
Police say the boy's mother Marykay Concepcion is also under investigation.
She had full custody. Le had visitation rights.
He says he noticed bruises on his son before, but could never get a straight answer.
"Yeah, he would always just say that he fell," says Le.
Le's 4-year-old daughter is now in protective custody.
As he prepares to bury his son, he worries how he will pay for his funeral.
"I just hope justice prevails," says Le.
Thongphun remains in custody, his bail set at $1 million.
orange county news, eileen frere
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe 32 min ago
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 58 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 23 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed 12 min ago
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...