Orange County News
Wrong-way Anaheim freeway crash kills 2
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A wrong-way driver slammed into a truck on the 91 Freeway in Anaheim on Monday, killing two women and injuring their two passengers.
The California Highway Patrol said 21-year-old Jessica Shekell of Fullerton was driving a black 2003 Toyota Tundra west in the eastbound FasTrak express lane at about 3 a.m. when she struck a Chevrolet Silverado head-on.
San Bernardino residents Sally Miguel, 44, and Patricia Miguel, 30, were in the Silverado and were killed in the crash. Their nieces, 11-year-old Sara Miguel and 15-year-old Mary Miguel, were taken to the hospital with major and moderate injuries, respectively. They were reported in stable condition.
According to a preliminary report, no one in the Silverado was wearing a seat belt.
Shekell was also hospitalized with major injuries but was reported in stable condition. Officers say it is unclear whether she was driving under the influence. Toxicology test results are pending.
A 911 call reported seeing the wrong-way driver approximately six miles from the accident site, meaning that Shekell could have been driving the opposite way for quite some time.
Anyone who saw a black 2003 Toyota Tundra traveling erratically early Monday morning near the 91 Freeway in Lakeview was asked to call the California Highway Patrol at (949) 559-7888.
orange county news, rob mcmillan
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 2 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana 17 min ago
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations 29 min ago
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week 28 min ago
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis