Orange County News
Disneyland expansion brings new jobs, parking
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- An expansion at Disneyland is attracting new jobs and more space to park. The theme park is building a new lot that boasts more than 2,600 new spots.
The "Toy Story' lot will be located in Anaheim on Harbor Boulevard, just south of Katella Avenue.
With the additional parking lot opening a few blocks away, Disneyland needed drivers to shuttle visitors to and from the park. Some of the new drivers are former Orange County Transportation Authority drivers who were laid off because of state budget cuts.
The park worked with the Anaheim Transportation Network and MV Transportation to hire the former OCTA drivers and lease the buses.
"We had a need. We have a new parking lot opening, and we know we needed buses to transport our guests to Disneyland, and we put two and two together and ended up with this wonderful public-private partnership that's working," said Disneyland spokeswoman Suzie Brown.
Sixteen former OCTA drivers have been hired, and the company needs at least 35 more to get behind the wheel.
"What we're looking for is anybody that's experienced that can help us out. The more experience, the better," said Andrew Higuera of MV Transportation.
The job pays about $11 an hour, and there are morning and afternoon shifts.
"It's a fairly simple service that everybody benefits from. Disneyland benefits from it, displaced workers benefit from it, and MV Transportation benefits from it," Higuera said. "It's a win-win all around.
Disney is the parent company of ABC7.
disney theme park, jobs, orange county news, sid garcia
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- Big Bear Lake's pirate ship afloat again
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Bail refused for ex-NFL player Darren Sharper
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video