Orange County News
Woman stabs new mother, tries to steal baby
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A woman tried to kill a new mom and steal her baby from the victim's Santa Ana home Friday.
It all started with a lie. The suspect, 28-year-old Gabriela Osorio of Santa Ana, thought she was pregnant and made the joyous announcement to her family and her live-in boyfriend, resulting in gifts and attention galore.
However, when Osorio discovered that she was in fact not pregnant, she hid the truth from her family. She even went as far as telling them that she gave birth and that the baby was still at the hospital but was about to come home.
In order to continue her lie, police say that Osorio befriended a woman at Paramount Care Medical Group Clinic for Women and Children in Santa Ana with the likely intention of stealing the woman's new born baby.
Friday, Osorio showed up at the woman's Santa Ana home in the 2000 block of North Fairview Street uninvited, and police say she tried to kidnap the new mother's 8-day-old baby.
"Her plan wasn't going well. She decided that she was going to kill the mother of this child and asked her for a plastic bag," said Santa Ana Police Department Cpl. Anthony Bertagna.
Authorities say that Osorio tried to suffocate the 26-year-old victim with a plastic bag, but the victim fought back and bit off a part of Osorio's finger. Then, Osorio grabbed a knife, stabbed the woman and grabbed the baby.
Police say Osorio was determined to carry through with her lie at all costs.
"She was going to do it anyway, and if she had to injure or kill the victim in this case to accomplish her goal, that was going to happen," said Bertagna.
"I saw the girl take the baby, and I tried to say, 'Hey, give me the baby,' and she cried when the police came," said the victim's neighbor who wanted to be identified as "Juan."
Osorio threatened to kill the baby, but finally gave it to the neighbor before trying to run. "Juan" then held Osorio until police arrived.
The victim is expected to make a full recovery, and her newborn was not hurt in the attack. Osorio was taken into custody and booked on suspicion of felony attempted murder, burglary, attempted kidnapping and assault with a deadly weapon.
Your feedback is important to us! Please complete a brief survey so we may continue to improve abc7.com
kidnap, stabbing, arrest, orange county news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Big Sur wildfire is now fully contained 21 min ago
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Beyonce surprises fans at Mass. Wal-Mart 50 min ago
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)