Orange County News
High surf advisory issued in Orange County
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- People visiting Orange County beaches: beware. There's a high surf advisory in effect.
Waves are predicted to reach as high as 7 feet, and there's also concern about dangerous rip currents.
Despite the advisory, there were a few hundred people at the wedge in Newport Beach on Sunday afternoon who were getting in the water. Others were there to watch what a hurricane more than 1,000 miles away can do to a local beach.
It didn't cause damage on land, but Hurricane Celia blew past Baja California at 130 miles per hour. That has created a high surf advisory to all south-facing beaches in Orange and San Diego counties.
Many surfers used the opportunity to have a little fun, but officials are warning inexperienced swimmers to stay out of the water.
"Any time there's an increase in surf at the wedge we get our (life) guards on their feet in front of the public so they can talk one on one with everyone who's going into the water," said Cpt. Boyd Mickley of the Newport Beach Fire Department. "We can evaluate their ability and make sure everyone goes home safe."
The advisory is in effect until 8 p.m. Monday.
"We've been coming to the beach almost every day this week and going in the water, but definitely we can't go out today," said Sara Miller, a spectator on Sunday. "It's neat to watch. I wouldn't want to go out there. I've heard a lot of times about people dying out there."
Last July, a surfer was killed at the wedge when powerful waves slammed him up against the jagged rocks.
surf, orange county news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery 33 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
23 min ago