Orange County News
Irvine police receive National Guard award
IRVINE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Irvine Police Department has been given the Freedom Award by the U.S. Department of Defense.
The annual award is presented by the Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve to employers who provide the best support to their employees who serve in the National Guard and Reserve.
The city of Irvine has had a long history with the National Guard and Reserve dating back to the military operations associated with the Marine Corps Air Stations, El Toro and Tustin.
"We are humbled to be recognized for our support of the men and women of our department and our city who serve our community every day with distinction," said Irvine Police Department Chief David L. Maggard, Jr. "When called to duty, our reservists serve our nation with extraordinary bravery and honor."
Irvine was selected for the award as one of 15 employers throughout the nation to receive the award.
Almost 2,500 Guard and Reserve members or their family members across the country nominated employers for exceptional support, which included providing full salary, continuation of benefits, care packages and family support to employees fulfilling their military obligation.
The Freedom Award will be presented to the Irvine Police Department during a formal ceremony Sept. 23 at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center in Washington, D.C.
department of defense, u.s. troops, veterans, orange county news
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 23 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Missing flight's last words were routine
- Torrance attempted burglary suspect sought 17 min ago
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer won't seek third term
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- 2-year-old found with heroin in New Jersey 12 min ago
- Fitbit Force recalled over allergic reactions
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons