Orange County News
O.C. mom guilty of abandoning baby in trash
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County woman was found guilty of trying to kill her newborn daughter by dumping her into a trash bin.
Shawn Kelli Sepulveda was convicted on Wednesday of attempted murder, endangerment and child abuse.
Sepulveda gave birth in August of 2008 in the bathtub of her apartment, where she lived with her husband and their two children.
According to prosecutors, the 39-year-old Laguna Niguel mother kept her pregnancy a secret, because a man that was not her husband was the father.
According to police testimony, Sepulveda cut the umbilical cord with a steak knife from her kitchen and took the infant to a trash bin in her apartment complex.
Sepulveda's other daughter discovered the baby in a trash bin later that day. The baby was taken to a hospital and brought into protective custody.
Sepulveda faces up to life in state prison at her Sept. 24 sentencing.
AP and CNS contributed to this report.
pregnancy, orange county news
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet 17 min ago
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 1 min ago
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Driver shot, injured on 14 Fwy in Palmdale
- Boy, 11, on scooter struck by tractor-trailer
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- BART, labor union leaders reach new deal
- NJ mall carjacking, shooting: 4 men arrested
- US holiday travelers brace for foul weather
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist 17 min ago
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'