Orange County News
O.C. mom guilty of abandoning baby in trash
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County woman was found guilty of trying to kill her newborn daughter by dumping her into a trash bin.
Shawn Kelli Sepulveda was convicted on Wednesday of attempted murder, endangerment and child abuse.
Sepulveda gave birth in August of 2008 in the bathtub of her apartment, where she lived with her husband and their two children.
According to prosecutors, the 39-year-old Laguna Niguel mother kept her pregnancy a secret, because a man that was not her husband was the father.
According to police testimony, Sepulveda cut the umbilical cord with a steak knife from her kitchen and took the infant to a trash bin in her apartment complex.
Sepulveda's other daughter discovered the baby in a trash bin later that day. The baby was taken to a hospital and brought into protective custody.
Sepulveda faces up to life in state prison at her Sept. 24 sentencing.
AP and CNS contributed to this report.
pregnancy, orange county news
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Norwalk homicide investigation underway 36 min ago
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Thermal brush fire contained at 350 acres
- Some CA cities seek water independence 16 min ago
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 18 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians