Orange County News
O.C. mom guilty of abandoning baby in trash
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County woman was found guilty of trying to kill her newborn daughter by dumping her into a trash bin.
Shawn Kelli Sepulveda was convicted on Wednesday of attempted murder, endangerment and child abuse.
Sepulveda gave birth in August of 2008 in the bathtub of her apartment, where she lived with her husband and their two children.
According to prosecutors, the 39-year-old Laguna Niguel mother kept her pregnancy a secret, because a man that was not her husband was the father.
According to police testimony, Sepulveda cut the umbilical cord with a steak knife from her kitchen and took the infant to a trash bin in her apartment complex.
Sepulveda's other daughter discovered the baby in a trash bin later that day. The baby was taken to a hospital and brought into protective custody.
Sepulveda faces up to life in state prison at her Sept. 24 sentencing.
AP and CNS contributed to this report.
pregnancy, orange county news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- 3 new Hollywood sex abuse lawsuits expected
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role