Orange County News
Closing arguments set in Adenhart trial
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Closing arguments are expected Thursday in the trial of the man accused of killing Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two of his friends in a drunk driving crash.
The defense for 23-year-old Andrew Gallo rested its case Tuesday without calling him to the witness stand. Gallo, a convicted drunk driver, is charged with three counts of second-degree murder, among other crimes, for the crash in Fullerton that killed Adenhart, his girlfriend Courtney Frances Stewart, who was 20, and friend Henry Pearson, 25. Jon Wilhite of Manhattan Beach survived.
Gallo's blood-alcohol level was measured at 0.19 percent two hours after the collision, but prosecutors say it was closer to 0.22 percent, nearly three times the legal limit, at the time of the crash.
Gallo's minivan was going 66 mph in a 35-mph zone eastbound on Orangethorpe Avenue when it broadsided the Mitsubishi Eclipse carrying the four victims on Lemon Street about 12:20 a.m., according to the testimony of Wes Vandiver, an investigator with the Orange County District Attorney's Office.
Prosecutors said they took the unusual step of charging Gallo with second-degree murder, and not the lesser charge of manslaughter, in part because he had a prior drunken-driving conviction and because he was driving on a suspended license.
Gallo faces a maximum sentence of 54 years and eight months to life in state prison if convicted of all counts.
The 22-year-old Adenhart died just hours after pitching six scoreless innings in his 2009 season debut with the Los Angeles Angels.
los angeles angels of anaheim, car crash, legal, dui, orange county news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed 8 min ago
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault 19 min ago
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat 18 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W 12 min ago
- Highway dedicated to detective Jeremiah MacKay
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- abcnews: Conjoined twins see sunlight for 1st time
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler