Orange County News
Mom sentenced for dumping newborn in dumpster
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A Laguna Nigel woman was sentenced Friday to five years in state prison for abandoning her newborn daughter in a dumpster.
Shawn Kelli Sepulveda, 41, was found guilty in July of attempted murder and child abuse.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office says Sepulveda tried to keep her pregnancy a secret from her husband because he is not the father. Her two other children were also kept in the dark.
Then, on August 16, 2008, Sepulveda gave birth to the baby girl in her Laguna Niguel apartment. Prosecutors say a few hours later, Sepulveda dumped the baby in a nearby dumpster.
Sepulveda's husband caught on and sent their daughter to look for the newborn. She found the child and the baby was taken into protective custody.
Prosecutors say Sepulveda admitted to police that she knew she could have placed the baby up for adoption or surrendered her to a fire station, under the state's safe surrender law.
The baby is in good health and living with Sepulveda's father, according to Deputy District Attorney Cyril Yu.
arrest, child abuse, orange county news
- Target probe focuses on processing centers 8 min ago
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Obama: 2014 can be breakthrough year for US
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim
- Torrance donut shop robbery: Suspect sought
- Man found dead after house fire in Orange
- 405 accidents snarl Sepulveda Pass commute
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal
- abcnews: Service dog sniffs out girl's disease
- London theater collapse: Aging venues safe?
- Harry Potter play in the works by J.K. Rowling 58 min ago
- OTRC: Phil Robertson's fam talk 'Duck Dynasty' future 51 min ago