Orange County News
Mom sentenced for dumping newborn in dumpster
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A Laguna Nigel woman was sentenced Friday to five years in state prison for abandoning her newborn daughter in a dumpster.
Shawn Kelli Sepulveda, 41, was found guilty in July of attempted murder and child abuse.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office says Sepulveda tried to keep her pregnancy a secret from her husband because he is not the father. Her two other children were also kept in the dark.
Then, on August 16, 2008, Sepulveda gave birth to the baby girl in her Laguna Niguel apartment. Prosecutors say a few hours later, Sepulveda dumped the baby in a nearby dumpster.
Sepulveda's husband caught on and sent their daughter to look for the newborn. She found the child and the baby was taken into protective custody.
Prosecutors say Sepulveda admitted to police that she knew she could have placed the baby up for adoption or surrendered her to a fire station, under the state's safe surrender law.
The baby is in good health and living with Sepulveda's father, according to Deputy District Attorney Cyril Yu.
arrest, child abuse, orange county news
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event