Orange County News
Mom sentenced for dumping newborn in dumpster
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- A Laguna Nigel woman was sentenced Friday to five years in state prison for abandoning her newborn daughter in a dumpster.
Shawn Kelli Sepulveda, 41, was found guilty in July of attempted murder and child abuse.
The Orange County District Attorney's Office says Sepulveda tried to keep her pregnancy a secret from her husband because he is not the father. Her two other children were also kept in the dark.
Then, on August 16, 2008, Sepulveda gave birth to the baby girl in her Laguna Niguel apartment. Prosecutors say a few hours later, Sepulveda dumped the baby in a nearby dumpster.
Sepulveda's husband caught on and sent their daughter to look for the newborn. She found the child and the baby was taken into protective custody.
Prosecutors say Sepulveda admitted to police that she knew she could have placed the baby up for adoption or surrendered her to a fire station, under the state's safe surrender law.
The baby is in good health and living with Sepulveda's father, according to Deputy District Attorney Cyril Yu.
arrest, child abuse, orange county news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found 20 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust 27 min ago
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Florida mom charged with attempted murder
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Oprah gives away Essence cover dress to fan
- Photos: Aaron Paul, wife at 'Need For Speed' premiere