Orange County News
Mummified body of nun found behind temple
MIDWAY CITY, Calif. (KABC) -- The Orange County Sheriff's Department was investigating a mummified body found behind a Buddhist temple Thursday.
The decomposing body, believed to be a nun that has been missing since May, was found in a shed behind the temple by a worker Thursday afternoon and reported several hours later.
Orange County Sheriff's deputies were still trying to contact the woman's family Friday. They said the woman was a nun at the temple where she was found, which had been converted from a house to a temple five years ago in the residential area of Midway City.
"No missing person report was filed," said Jim Amormino, a spokesperson for the sheriff's department. "One person on the property stated they thought she just got up and left. All her personal items were at the temple."
Investigators said they weren't ruling out the possibility of a murder. An autopsy was performed Friday but due to the advanced state of decay, further investigation will be necessary to determine the cause of death.
Do you want the Eyewitness News team to call you? Get a FREE Morning Wake-up Call and personalized weather report at abc7.com/wakeup
body found, homicide investigation, orange county news, sid garcia
- Brush fire burning near Gorman 14 min ago
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Perris pastor arrested for rape of minor
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Azusa cheerleader dies from rare lung cancer
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail
- CA couple allegedly left child in car to gamble
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- Photos: 'Modern Family' home selling for $2.35M
- OTRC: 'Scandal' recap - 5 highlights (Spoilers)