Orange County News
O.C.'s Crystal Cathedral files for bankruptcy
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Crystal Cathedral "megachurch" in Garden Grove filed for bankruptcy Monday after months of trying to overcome mounting debt.
The church has $55 million worth of debt. Approximately $7.5 million is owed to various vendors for services rendered, including advertising, according to a church spokesman. Several vendors filed lawsuits against the church.
The church has about 10,000 members. It was founded in the 1950s by Robert Schuller. Later the church began the "Hour of Power" televangelist broadcast. The church's iconic worship hall was opened in 1970.
The church has ordered layoffs, sold property and reduced the number of stations broadcasting the "Hour of Power."
The economic recession is the cause of the financial problems, according to the church.
orange county news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested 1 min ago
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Indio High students, faculty tested for TB
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)