Orange County News
DUI suspect crashes into police car, pole
LAGUNA BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- A man pulled over on suspicion of drunken driving crashed twice in the process, and it was all caught on tape.
A Laguna Beach police officer pulled over the driver of a black Toyota Prius at 11:30 p.m. Saturday on suspicion of drunken driving.
The driver pulled into a gas station at Pacific Coast Highway and Broadway Street in Laguna Beach.
The officer then asked the driver to step out of the vehicle.
The driver apparently missed putting the car in park and put the car into reverse gear instead. Video shows the car rolling back and slam into the front end of the police car.
The driver then appears to panic, jumps back into the vehicle and pulls the car forward so fast that he slams the car into a post in front of him, hitting so hard the back tires lift off the ground. He also struck the gas station's air-and-water dispenser, rupturing the water line.
"At that speed, where he put the car into drive is actually the speed that he moved forward from," said Laguna Beach Police Sgt. Louise Callus. "I have not spoken to the officer but I am surprised at how calm he remained, just kind of watch him, watch what is going on. I am sure if I had been in that instance it would have been more like, 'Am I really seeing what I am seeing?'"
Police have identified the driver as 42-year-old Christian Aparicio, a Huntington Beach resident. He has been charged with driving under the influence.
Aparicio did have a female passenger in the vehicle with him. Fortunately no one was injured in these crashes.
amazing video, stupid criminals, arrest, car crash, caught on tape, dui, orange county news, eileen frere
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 55 min ago
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide