Orange County News
Man, 88, arrested in fatal care home shooting
SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An 88-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of shooting an elderly woman dead in a Seal Beach nursing home Sunday, authorities said.
Police said the victim, 86-year-old Clara Laird of Seal Beach, was the man's wife.
The shooting happened at the Country Villa Seal Beach Healthcare Center on the 2300 block of Beverly Manor Road.
Officers responding to a 911 call just after noon found Laird dead in her bed from an apparent single gunshot wound to her head.
"My daughter works in there and all they heard was the gunshot," said Kathy Terry, the mother of a nurse. "The rest of the staff, administration, was very diligent in getting the staff under control and behind closed doors."
The man, Roy Charles Laird, was arrested in the room of the shooting, police said. He did not resist as he was taken into custody.
Authorities recovered a revolver at the scene.
Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the shooting.
No one else was harmed, police said.
homicide investigation, murder, shooting, arrest, orange county news, amy powell
- Kidnap suspect search shuts down DTLA streets
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- IE man found guilty of molesting 3 girls
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Key dates announced for 87th Oscars in 2015
- OTRC: 'Mrs. Doubtfire 2' planned, child star reacts