Orange County News
Man, 88, arrested in fatal care home shooting
SEAL BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- An 88-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of shooting an elderly woman dead in a Seal Beach nursing home Sunday, authorities said.
Police said the victim, 86-year-old Clara Laird of Seal Beach, was the man's wife.
The shooting happened at the Country Villa Seal Beach Healthcare Center on the 2300 block of Beverly Manor Road.
Officers responding to a 911 call just after noon found Laird dead in her bed from an apparent single gunshot wound to her head.
"My daughter works in there and all they heard was the gunshot," said Kathy Terry, the mother of a nurse. "The rest of the staff, administration, was very diligent in getting the staff under control and behind closed doors."
The man, Roy Charles Laird, was arrested in the room of the shooting, police said. He did not resist as he was taken into custody.
Authorities recovered a revolver at the scene.
Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the shooting.
No one else was harmed, police said.
homicide investigation, murder, shooting, arrest, orange county news, amy powell
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- Bell's Rizzo to plead guilty to tax evasion
- Blind, autistic piano prodigy inspires others
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense presents case
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Ohio police chief slams Kanye West
- Klinsmann to remain as US coach through 2018
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child 56 min ago
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son