Orange County News
Court denies ex-OC Sheriff Carona's appeals
Former Orange County Sheriff Michael Carona is a step closer to prison after a federal judge upheld his conviction on witness tampering.
Carona was sentenced to five and a half years in prison in his 2009 corruption trial.
He appealed, arguing prosecutors acted unethically by arranging a secretly videotaped conversation with a former law-enforcement official.
Carona also claimed he had been charged under the wrong federal statute.
The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected both arguments.
That court set a January 25 hearing to discuss Carona's surrender.
orange county news
- Malaysian Airlines flight goes missing 2 min ago
- LAPD officer killed in Beverly Hills crash 7 min ago
- Salon owner charged in murder-for-hire plot 54 min ago
- San Juan Capistrano murders: Son arrested 11 min ago
- 2 targeted in attempted kidnap, sexual battery
- Palms apartment fire: Woman found dead
- Smoke detectors crucial to avoid fire deaths
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store 48 min ago
- abcnews: Meat contaminated w/ LSD sickens family 45 min ago
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Ted Turner hospitalized in Argentine capital
- Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- OTRC: Ke$ha leaves rehab after 2 months