Orange County News
Court denies ex-OC Sheriff Carona's appeals
Former Orange County Sheriff Michael Carona is a step closer to prison after a federal judge upheld his conviction on witness tampering.
Carona was sentenced to five and a half years in prison in his 2009 corruption trial.
He appealed, arguing prosecutors acted unethically by arranging a secretly videotaped conversation with a former law-enforcement official.
Carona also claimed he had been charged under the wrong federal statute.
The Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals rejected both arguments.
That court set a January 25 hearing to discuss Carona's surrender.
orange county news
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting 19 min ago
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 51 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple 33 min ago
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate