Orange County News
Couple in 20s killed in OC wrong-way crash
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A dating couple in their 20s was killed when a wrong-way driver crashed into their vehicle on State Route 91 in Anaheim on Wednesday.
The crash happened near the Tustin Avenue onramp shortly before 1 a.m. just east of Harbor Boulevard. The California Highway Patrol said a white 2006 Mercedes-Benz was traveling west in the eastbound carpool lane of the 91.
The eastbound lanes of the freeway near the Tustin Avenue off ramp were closed for investigation but were reopened at 4:30 a.m.
The driver of the Mercedes, 21-year-old Anthony Fragoso of South Gate, had been traveling on the wrong side of the 91 for at least several miles before crashing head-on into a 2006 Scion xB.
The two people in the Scion, 26-year-old Alan Reyes of Diamond Bar and 24-year-old Vanessa Cease of Long Beach, were both killed as a result of the crash. A friend said the two had been dating.
Authorities said Fragoso appeared to be critically injured. He was arrested but was taken to an area hospital to be treated for major injuries.
It was unknown why Fragoso was traveling on the opposite side of the freeway. It's unclear if Fragoso was driving under the influence.
"In regards to the suspicion of any intoxication regards to alcohol or drugs, that has not been confirmed. However, it has not been ruled out at this time," said CHP officer Ray Payton.
Fragoso has been charged with vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. Charges could escalate if tests come back positive for drugs or alcohol.
car crash, california highway patrol, orange county news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 42 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 10 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour