Orange County News
Couple in 20s killed in OC wrong-way crash
ANAHEIM, Calif. (KABC) -- A dating couple in their 20s was killed when a wrong-way driver crashed into their vehicle on State Route 91 in Anaheim on Wednesday.
The crash happened near the Tustin Avenue onramp shortly before 1 a.m. just east of Harbor Boulevard. The California Highway Patrol said a white 2006 Mercedes-Benz was traveling west in the eastbound carpool lane of the 91.
The eastbound lanes of the freeway near the Tustin Avenue off ramp were closed for investigation but were reopened at 4:30 a.m.
The driver of the Mercedes, 21-year-old Anthony Fragoso of South Gate, had been traveling on the wrong side of the 91 for at least several miles before crashing head-on into a 2006 Scion xB.
The two people in the Scion, 26-year-old Alan Reyes of Diamond Bar and 24-year-old Vanessa Cease of Long Beach, were both killed as a result of the crash. A friend said the two had been dating.
Authorities said Fragoso appeared to be critically injured. He was arrested but was taken to an area hospital to be treated for major injuries.
It was unknown why Fragoso was traveling on the opposite side of the freeway. It's unclear if Fragoso was driving under the influence.
"In regards to the suspicion of any intoxication regards to alcohol or drugs, that has not been confirmed. However, it has not been ruled out at this time," said CHP officer Ray Payton.
Fragoso has been charged with vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence. Charges could escalate if tests come back positive for drugs or alcohol.
car crash, california highway patrol, orange county news
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants