Orange County News
OC woman, dolphin reunite after 5 years
CYPRESS, Calif. (KABC) -- Coley Pittman has watched the video of her recent trip to Ireland over and over again, and she smiles every time.
Pittman just returned from Dingle, a town of 1,900 people, 500,000 sheep and one dolphin named Fungi.
"He's known as a solitary dolphin, which means he doesn't seek interaction with other dolphins, he only seeks interaction with humans," said Pittman, a dolphin enthusiast. "There aren't a lot of dolphins like that around the world."
Pittman first visited Fungi 12 years ago.
She went back several more times and started swimming with the wild, 12-foot bottlenose dolphin.
The two created a most unusual bond that was never more evident than two weeks ago when Pittman returned to Dingle for the first time in five years.
One call of her voice and Fungi popped right out of the water.
"I did the call and he popped up immediately," said Pittman with a big smile.
Pittman put on her wetsuit and jumped into the icy cold waters. For the next 90 minutes, Pittman and Fungi were reunited.
"I feel like there was a connection there," she said. "I don't know how to explain it. I know a lot of people think it's crazy."
Fungi has been the star attraction in Dingle for more than 25 years.
People from around the world have come to see him, but even the locals say they've never seen the wild dolphin act like he does when Pittman comes to town.
animal news, unbelievable, caught on tape, orange county news, john hartung
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 34 min ago
- Nurse stabbed at Sylmar hospital; 1 arrested
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- LA coach gets 130 years in child molest case
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 3-car crash 16 min ago
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy in Harbor City
- Driver smashes car into Fillmore dollar store
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- Pope Francis, crowd joyously celebrate Easter
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role