Orange County News
Fundraisers held for Mara Steves
LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. (KABC) -- A jogger trying to rescue a stray dog from traffic was killed at Moulton Parkway and Nueva Vista Drive when two drivers swerved to avoid hitting the dog.
People placed candles and flowers at the scene of the accident.
Investigators say Mara Steves was trying to shoo the dog off the road when she was struck by one of the two vehicles.
Three people inside the two SUVs were injured in the accident.
The dog ran away.
Mara was very active in her community. In fact, the people who knew her best, her husband and two kids, say she would do anything for anyone. Now friends and neighbors are giving in her memory.
This weekend Laguna Niguel residents have been showing how much they cared about Mara by taking part in a hot-dog fundraiser to benefit the Steves Family and Marian Bergerson Elementary School, where Mara once served as PTA president.
A fundraiser will be held outside a Laguna Niguel store from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday:
28231 Crown Valley Pkwy.
Donations can also be made to
Bergeson PTA Mara Fund
23502 Rancho Niguel Rd.
Laguna Niguel 92677
accident, orange county news
- Report of gun in LA Times bldg: suspect detained
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- E-cigarette ban in public to go into effect
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- 4 sought in Highland home-invasion robbery
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- Mount Everest avalanche kills at least 12
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Cute bear cub left alone at animal rescue
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film 14 min ago
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in...
38 min ago