Orange County News
Fundraisers held for Mara Steves
LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. (KABC) -- A jogger trying to rescue a stray dog from traffic was killed at Moulton Parkway and Nueva Vista Drive when two drivers swerved to avoid hitting the dog.
People placed candles and flowers at the scene of the accident.
Investigators say Mara Steves was trying to shoo the dog off the road when she was struck by one of the two vehicles.
Three people inside the two SUVs were injured in the accident.
The dog ran away.
Mara was very active in her community. In fact, the people who knew her best, her husband and two kids, say she would do anything for anyone. Now friends and neighbors are giving in her memory.
This weekend Laguna Niguel residents have been showing how much they cared about Mara by taking part in a hot-dog fundraiser to benefit the Steves Family and Marian Bergerson Elementary School, where Mara once served as PTA president.
A fundraiser will be held outside a Laguna Niguel store from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday:
28231 Crown Valley Pkwy.
Donations can also be made to
Bergeson PTA Mara Fund
23502 Rancho Niguel Rd.
Laguna Niguel 92677
accident, orange county news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- LAPD officers to wear body cameras downtown 9 min ago
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Big Sur fire burns 769 acres; chance of rain
- Bipartisan budget deal nears final passage
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- Ronnie Biggs, 'Great Train Robber,' dies at 84
- 3-yr-old recovering after 5-organ transplant
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present