Orange County News
US Customs officer accused of raping 2 women
WESTMINSTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A U.S. Customs and Border Protection officer is behind bars, accused of sexually assaulting two women. Authorities say there may be more victims.
According to Garden Grove Police Lt. Scott Watson, DNA evidence led investigators to Fountain Valley resident Miguel Lerma Jr. Police said Lerma's DNA matches two cases.
A woman said Lerma picked her up in Santa Ana in November and then drove to Garden Grove and sexually assaulted her. His DNA also matched a case in Long Beach from 2009.
Authorities fear there could be other victims too.
"If anybody knows of him, and they're a victim of any type of crime, or anything that and they think 'hey this guy was up to something at the time,' then we would like to hear from them," said Watson. "If it's nothing that's great. If it is something, then we could look into that too."
Authorities won't say why a sample was taken from Lerma in the first place, saying it could compromise their investigation and their case.
Homeland Security officials said Lerma was not on duty when the crimes occurred, and that he was not using his position in law enforcement as part of the crimes.Customs and Border Enforcement Protection said they are cooperating fully with the police investigation.
If you have any information, police urge you to call the Garden Grove police at 714-741-5704.
sexual assault, arrest, orange county news, john gregory
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 46 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 34 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal 52 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis