Orange County News
OC anesthesiologist arrested for sex assault on 2 patients
PLACENTIA, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County doctor was arrested Thursday on suspicion of sexually assaulting two female patients while they were under anesthesia, one of them a 16-year-old.
Dr. Yashwant Giri, a 58-year-old anesthesiologist, is suspected of assaulting them while they were undergoing surgery at Placentia-Linda Hospital in Placentia.
The most recent case involved a 36-year-old patient in March, authorities said.
"These acts occurred when the patients themselves were under anesthesia, so the victims themselves aren't going to know it," said Placentia Police Det. Corinne Loomis.
In a statement, a hospital official said: "We take allegations such as this very seriously. The hospital and medical staff immediately launched an internal review. The physician resigned from our staff last month. We have reported the incidents to California Department of Public Health, the medical board and local authorities, and we are cooperating fully with their investigations."
Giri's resignation came after the second alleged incident. The first one involving the teenager was never reported to police in 2009.
Police said hospital workers in the operating room at the time reported the abuse.
"The investigation that the hospital says they did in 2009 in their opinion was inconclusive," Loomis said. "The doctor denied the allegations and they didn't believe they had enough to substantiate, so they concluded there wasn't anything more to do with it."
Police said there may be other victims. Authorities say Giri worked at West Anaheim Medical Center, Anaheim Regional Medical Center, and Western Medical Center-Anaheim.
Giri remains in custody with bail set at $100,000.
sex crimes, arrest, orange county news, eileen frere
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 25 min ago
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin 5 min ago
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- El Nino watch: Cycle possible next winter
4 min ago