Orange County News
OC doctor in hospital sexual assault case free on bail
PLACENTIA, Calif. (KABC) -- An Orange County doctor accused of sexually assaulting patients while they were unconscious is free on bail Friday.
Investigators said one of those patients was a 16-year-old girl. Dr. Yashwant Giri, 58, is an anesthesiologist at Placentia-Linda Hospital.
Employees said they witnessed Giri fondle a 16-year-old girl in 2009 and a 36-year-old woman in March 2011.
Both patients were reportedly unconscious on the operating table at the time.
Placentia-Linda Hospital issued the following statement:
In a statement, a hospital official said: "We take allegations such as this very seriously. The hospital and medical staff immediately launched an internal review. The physician resigned from our staff last month. We have reported the incidents to California Department of Public Health, the medical board and local authorities, and we are cooperating fully with their investigations."
Police said there may be other victims. Authorities say Giri worked at West Anaheim Medical Center, Anaheim Regional Medical Center, and Western Medical Center-Anaheim.
sex crimes, arrest, orange county news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured 7 min ago
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast 10 min ago
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
23 min ago