Orange County News
OC performers continue show despite fire-ravaged theater
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- Despite a major fire, a determined theatre group in Garden Grove stuck to the adage, "the show must go on."
The group went ahead with its grand opening of the musical "Chicago" at the Village Green Amphitheatre Saturday night.
Opening night was supposed to take place at the historic Gem Theatre on Main Street, but this past Monday, fire tore through the interior of the building and destroyed expensive costumes and sets.
Ever since then, theatre members and supporters have been scrambling to stitch together new costumes and get the production ready for opening night.
"Chicago" was scheduled to run through June 26.
Organizers are hoping to move the production back to the Gem Theatre as soon as it's cleaned up.
theater news, fire, orange county news
- Students allegedly hack system, change grades
- Secret Service probing Target security breach
- Mexico resort shootout: 5 dead in Rocky Point
- Kelly Thomas trial: Defense rests its case
- Fire erupts at strip mall in Hawthorne
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- $5.8M settlement reached in Calif. race crash
- LA Council speaks on immigration deportations
- Mega Millions: Georgia winner comes forward
- abcnews: DA pushes to jail 'affluenza' teen
- Congress passes bipartisan budget agreement
- Electroporation may treat melanoma patients
- 'Anchorman 2' is overhyped, but still funny
- OTRC: Justin Bieber retiring? Manager responds