Orange County News
Thwarted pot heist sparks Brea fatal shooting
BREA, Calif. (KABC) -- A deadly shooting on the 1700 block of East Birch Street in Brea appeared to be a pot robbery gone wrong.
Police said a group of suspects tried to rob a marijuana dispensary delivery driver in the alley of an apartment complex.
Brea police Sgt. Jim Griffin said that 20-year-old Min Kinh Dang of Santa Ana and at least three others confronted the deliveryman and his armed security guard Wednesday night.
The security guard fired three shots at Dang, who was wielding a handgun. Responding officers found Dang dead at the scene.
Earl Augustus Austin, 19, of Santa Ana and James Yi, 18, of Irvine were arrested on suspicion of robbery and murder. A third suspect whom police have not yet identified also was arrested.
According to jail records, Austin and Yi were being held on $1 million in bail each.
Delivery services for medical marijuana patients in California are not uncommon and their numbers have been growing since voters approved the use of the drug for medicinal purposes in 1996.
Some services in particular cater to elderly patients who are less mobile and prefer the discretion of the home delivery.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
medical marijuana, robbery, shooting, orange county news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- AZ sheriff's office profiles Latinos - judge
- Communications satellite launched into space
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert