Orange County News
Chapman University offers to buy Crystal Cathedral
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- Chapman University in Orange is offering to buy the financially-troubled Crystal Cathedral for $46 million.
The iconic church is $35 million in debt and filed for bankruptcy last year. The university's Board of Trustees authorized the proposal at a meeting on June 27.
Chapman's president told Eyewitness News Tuesday that the university's proposal would allow the ministry to continue to use the cathedral.
"Chapman University moved from Los Angeles to Orange County in 1954 and [Rev. Robert Schuller] started his ministry on top of a snack shack at a drive-in theater in 1955 - so a year apart. We've been in it together and I'd like to think we could be long-term neighbors," said President James Doti.
The nearly 35-acre Garden Grove property is located just three miles from Chapman University's campus.
Doti said the other buildings on the church's property could be used for a medical, dental or pharmacy school.
finance, orange county news
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery 10 min ago
- Tornadoes strike Midwest; storms to persist 26 min ago
- Greuel, Garcetti make final stops across LA
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay 9 min ago
- Man's body found in vacant apartment in IE
- Man shot, killed in Victorville; 1 arrested
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight
- Hollywood High honored for musical theater
- Girl, 10, fatally shot inside NorCal home
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- 2 killed in Turkey hot air balloon crash
- United's 787 Dreamliners back in service
- Taylor Swift wins big at Billboard Awards
- Photos: Best moments at Billboard Awards 2013