Orange County News
Family says beaten man at hands of Fullerton police taken off life support
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a 37-year-old unarmed man who brawled with Fullerton police says he has died battling for his life.
Kelly Thomas' family told Eyewitness News that he was taken off life support at UCI Medical Center at noon Sunday.
Officers confronted Thomas on Tuesday night after receiving a call about someone breaking into cars.
When they tried to arrest him, Thomas fought back. Police said the brawl continued until Thomas lost consciousness.
Thomas' father said his son's face was almost unrecognizable.
Police said two officers suffered broken bones during the fight and were treated at a hospital.
Relatives say Thomas was homeless and had a history of mental illness, but they accuse the police department of using excessive force.
Court records show Thomas plead guilty to assault with a deadly weapon more than 16 years ago.
The Fullerton Police Department is investigating the incident.
arrest, orange county news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 55 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Harry Reid in the hospital for observation 5 min ago
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis