Orange County News
Family says beaten man at hands of Fullerton police taken off life support
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a 37-year-old unarmed man who brawled with Fullerton police says he has died battling for his life.
Kelly Thomas' family told Eyewitness News that he was taken off life support at UCI Medical Center at noon Sunday.
Officers confronted Thomas on Tuesday night after receiving a call about someone breaking into cars.
When they tried to arrest him, Thomas fought back. Police said the brawl continued until Thomas lost consciousness.
Thomas' father said his son's face was almost unrecognizable.
Police said two officers suffered broken bones during the fight and were treated at a hospital.
Relatives say Thomas was homeless and had a history of mental illness, but they accuse the police department of using excessive force.
Court records show Thomas plead guilty to assault with a deadly weapon more than 16 years ago.
The Fullerton Police Department is investigating the incident.
arrest, orange county news
- Deputies allegedly planted guns in pot clinic 58 min ago
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder 45 min ago
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house 50 min ago
- Flasher strikes UC Riverside, community college
- Man killed in South Los Angeles hit-and-run
- Claremont sexual predator charged with felonies
- Suspicious bag found on the tarmac at LAX
- Trailer spills rocks on westbound 10 Freeway
- Victory for mom who sued TSA over breast milk
- Murder suspect worried tattoo might hurt case
- abcnews: Navy officer reunited with wife, daughters
- Object found in Australia likely not from jet
- 4 Hollywood execs deny sexual abuse claims
- OTRC: Laura Prepon reacts to Tom Cruise rumors