Orange County News
Family says beaten man at hands of Fullerton police taken off life support
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a 37-year-old unarmed man who brawled with Fullerton police says he has died battling for his life.
Kelly Thomas' family told Eyewitness News that he was taken off life support at UCI Medical Center at noon Sunday.
Officers confronted Thomas on Tuesday night after receiving a call about someone breaking into cars.
When they tried to arrest him, Thomas fought back. Police said the brawl continued until Thomas lost consciousness.
Thomas' father said his son's face was almost unrecognizable.
Police said two officers suffered broken bones during the fight and were treated at a hospital.
Relatives say Thomas was homeless and had a history of mental illness, but they accuse the police department of using excessive force.
Court records show Thomas plead guilty to assault with a deadly weapon more than 16 years ago.
The Fullerton Police Department is investigating the incident.
arrest, orange county news
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen 48 min ago
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Amber Alert issued for Long Beach boy 10 min ago
- Suspect arrested for Dana Point shooting
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Minnesota lawmaker apologizes for NBA tweet 9 min ago
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K 18 min ago
- Sbarro files for second bankruptcy in 3 years 23 min ago
- Effexor recalled due to possible contamination
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 'The Bachelor' finale: 5 things to know...