Orange County News
Family says beaten man at hands of Fullerton police taken off life support
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The family of a 37-year-old unarmed man who brawled with Fullerton police says he has died battling for his life.
Kelly Thomas' family told Eyewitness News that he was taken off life support at UCI Medical Center at noon Sunday.
Officers confronted Thomas on Tuesday night after receiving a call about someone breaking into cars.
When they tried to arrest him, Thomas fought back. Police said the brawl continued until Thomas lost consciousness.
Thomas' father said his son's face was almost unrecognizable.
Police said two officers suffered broken bones during the fight and were treated at a hospital.
Relatives say Thomas was homeless and had a history of mental illness, but they accuse the police department of using excessive force.
Court records show Thomas plead guilty to assault with a deadly weapon more than 16 years ago.
The Fullerton Police Department is investigating the incident.
arrest, orange county news
- Oklahoma tornado: 20 children among 51 killed
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- abcnews: Hofstra student killed in police standoff
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements 41 min ago
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10