Orange County News
Woman arrested for cutting off husband's penis
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- Garden Grove police arrested a woman for allegedly tying her estranged husband up and cutting off his penis with a 10-inch knife.
Authorities responded to a condominium complex in the 14000 block of Flower Street about 9 p.m. Monday after the woman, identified as 48-year-old Catherine Kieu Becker, reported a medical emergency. When officers arrived, they found a 60-year-old man tied to a bed and bleeding profusely from his groin area.
Police said the woman drugged the man during dinner to make him sleepy, tied his arms and legs to a bed with a rope, removed his clothes and attacked him. The victim woke up as she was cutting off his penis with a knife.
"The officers immediately called for paramedics, untied the victim from the bed. The wife at that time made the spontaneous statement that he 'deserved it,'" Garden Grove police Lt. Jeff Nightengale said.
The woman allegedly tossed the penis into the garbage disposal and then turned it on. According to police, officers and paramedics were able to recover pieces of the penis and transported them with the victim to University of California at Irvine Medical Center in Orange.
The victim underwent surgery and was listed in stable condition and is expected to survive.
According to the Orange County Sheriff's Department, Becker was placed in the medical ward of the Orange County Jail to be evaluated.
Police say the two are married but are going through a divorce.
Lourdes Painter, who lives in the unit below the victim's, said the couple was married in December but never heard the couple have problems.
Asked if she ever heard any trouble coming from the condo, Painter said, "No, nothing at all. No scream, nothing."
She described him as a nice man who was the president of their homeowner's association.
"I was very surprised that she would do that kind of thing since their relationship seemed strong, seemed like they got along well," said another neighbor, Phuong Anh Pham.
Becker was arrested for aggravated mayhem, false imprisonment, assault with a deadly weapon, administering a drug with intent to commit felony, poisoning and spousal abuse. Her bail was set at $1 million. She is due in court Wednesday.
If convicted on the aggravated mayhem charge, she could be sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
In an earlier version of this report, the victim was identified as a 51-year-old man. He is in fact 60 years old.
arrest, unbelievable, orange county news, sid garcia
- Ambulance crash: 4 injured in Signal Hill 25 min ago
- S.Korea ferry crew actions were 'murderous' 57 min ago
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well 41 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- Alleged arsonist Tased by police in Hollywood 54 min ago
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Hyun-Jin Ryu raises money for ferry victims
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role
- Kettlebells can help burn calories fast
42 min ago