Orange County News
Coast Guard searches for missing kayaker in OC
NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- The Coast Guard searched the waters off Newport Harbor on Friday for a missing 53-year-old man. No one has seen or heard from him since Wednesday.
Authorities said Mark Cross told his family on Wednesday that he was going out on his kayak for a few hours, but he never returned.
Helicopters and patrol boats, along with the Orange County Sheriff's Department, began looking for Cross on Thursday. So far, they haven't found him or his kayak.
A family member told the Coast Guard that he almost never wears a life jacket when he goes out on his kayak.
"He is an experienced boater. He has done outrig canoeing before," said Lt. Anastacia Thorsson of the U.S. Coast Guard.
missing person, coast guard, orange county news, sid garcia
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment 8 min ago
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests 44 min ago
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
38 min ago
- Illinois students spread joy w/ Dial-a -Carol
39 min ago