Orange County News
Creditors threaten to sue Crystal Cathedral
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- Creditors are now threatening to sue the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove unless its owners agree to sell the landmark.
A creditors committee filed documents in federal bankruptcy court Tuesday that call for the sale of the 40-acre property.
The financially troubled church recently announced it's not for sale, but there are offers on the table.
The Catholic Diocese of Orange recently upped its bid to buy the property for $53.6 million. The new offer includes a rent reserve that would allow Crystal Cathedral ministries to remain onsite and hold services for several years.
There are also several other bids in the $50 million range.
Creditors say the church board could choose a buyer. But if it won't cooperate, they'll push through a deal and then sue, arguing church leaders improperly received payments that should've gone to the creditors.
The cathedral filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last October.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
finance, orange county news
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 33 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search 10 min ago
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time
- Malaysia plane search widens toward India 16 min ago
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says