Orange County News
Fullerton hires independent investigator for Kelly Thomas case
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- The Fullerton City Council voted Tuesday to bring in an independent consultant to investigate the death of Kelly Thomas, a mentally ill homeless man after a confrontation with police.
The City Council agreed Tuesday night to sign two contracts with attorney Michael Gennaco to probe the death of 37-year-old Thomas and review the police department's policies and procedures.
Gennaco specializes in examining law enforcement agencies and is chief attorney for the Los Angeles County Office of Independent Review.
The decision to hire Gennaco came during a heated council meeting in which City Council members momentarily walked out on the angry crowd.
People speaking before the council asked that they resign. The six officers involved in the confrontation are on paid administrative leave and Fullerton Police Chief Michael Sellers is on indefinite medical leave.
The threat of a cyber attack on Fullerton's website from a group of hackers known as "Anonymous" angered over the death of Thomas failed to interrupt service on the site today, police said.
In a recent YouTube.com video "Anonymous" said it will "remove from the World Wide Web the site belonging to the Fullerton Police Department."
Fullerton Police say they've already thwarted several cyber attacks.
"This is a credible threat. We are taking it seriously and are responding accordingly," said Fullerton Police Sgt. Andrew Goodrich.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
orange county news, elex michaelson
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found 30 min ago
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Gabor husband, daughter fight over spending
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film