Orange County News
Marchers rally outside Fullerton Police Dept.
FULLERTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Protesters marched from the Fullerton Police Department station to the city bus depot Saturday.
The protesters rallied in support of a schizophrenic homeless man who was severely beaten by six Fullerton officers during an arrest in July.
Kelly Thomas, 37, was taken off life support days after the beating.
"We think the protest movement is the only thing that has pushed the city to take measures such as having the chief go on medical leave, bringing in an independent investigator, but we don't want it to stop here," said Ian Thompson, an organizer with the ANSWER Coalition. "There has to be full justice."
The six officers involved in the arrest have been placed on paid leave.
There have also been calls for several public officials to step down, including the city mayor.
An outside independent investigator has been brought in to assess the department's policies and procedures. The FBI and the Orange County District Attorney's Office are also investigating Thomas's death.
orange county news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report