Orange County News
Knott's Berry Farm reaches settlement in coaster accident
BUENA PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Knott's Berry Farm has reached a confidential settlement with a 12-year-old boy who was injured on a roller coaster in 2009.
The entire incident was captured by on-board video that was posted on YouTube.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the boy, identified as Kyle Wheeler, underwent multiple surgeries as well as physical therapy before he could walk again. He has since recovered, the family's lawyer, Art Morgan, said Friday.
Morgan said the settlement covers the cost of medical care and the family's emotional distress.
A state investigation concluded the ride hadn't been properly maintained.
Shortly following the incident, the Buena Park amusement park said in a statement that the cable on the Xcelerator ride is changed regularly. Park officials said the cable was last changed in December 2008 and wasn't due for another change until December 2009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
amusement park, legal, orange county news
- Southern California heat expected to die down
- 4 stabbed at Fullerton bar; suspects sought
- IE pastor accused of paying boys for sex acts
- Malaysia asks countries for data to find jet
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Santa Ana crash leaves man critically injured
- Burbank man arrested in stabbing attack
- Some CA cities seek water independence
- abcnews: US travel advice from other countries
- Crimeans overwhelmingly vote for secession 32 min ago
- 16 killed in stampedes for jobs in Nigeria
- 2 Chile earthquakes shake Pacific shoreline
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' top box office
- Photos: Billboard's 25 highest-paid musicians