Orange County News
Knott's Berry Farm reaches settlement in coaster accident
BUENA PARK, Calif. (KABC) -- Knott's Berry Farm has reached a confidential settlement with a 12-year-old boy who was injured on a roller coaster in 2009.
The entire incident was captured by on-board video that was posted on YouTube.
According to the Los Angeles Times, the boy, identified as Kyle Wheeler, underwent multiple surgeries as well as physical therapy before he could walk again. He has since recovered, the family's lawyer, Art Morgan, said Friday.
Morgan said the settlement covers the cost of medical care and the family's emotional distress.
A state investigation concluded the ride hadn't been properly maintained.
Shortly following the incident, the Buena Park amusement park said in a statement that the cable on the Xcelerator ride is changed regularly. Park officials said the cable was last changed in December 2008 and wasn't due for another change until December 2009.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
amusement park, legal, orange county news
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash 26 min ago
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s 26 min ago
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present
- Two smart watch models put to the test
6 min ago