Orange County News
Mother accused of tossing baby appears in court
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- A La Habra woman accused of killing her baby by dropping him from the fourth floor of a parking garage appeared in court on Monday.
Sonia Hermosillo sat in a wheelchair as she appeared before a judge. The 31-year-old is being held in the medical ward of the Orange County Jail since her arrest last week.
"She wants to go home. She wants to be moved within the jail. She doesn't quite understand why she can't go home," said Charles Hasse, Orange County deputy public defender.
Hermosillo is accused of dropping her 7-month-old son, Noe Jr., to the pavement of a parking structure at Children's Hospital of Orange County on Aug. 22.
The boy's father, Noe Medina, said their child suffered medical conditions and had been receiving regular treatments at Children's Hospital.
In a past interview, Noe Medina asked people not to hold a grudge against his wife, saying she didn't know what she was doing. She suffered from postpartum depression.
"I think the evidence is clear. It's going to show that she didn't want to take care of this baby. She wanted to kill this baby," said prosecutor Scott Simmons.
The prosecutor alleges Hermosillo removed a helmet that the boy had to wear for a medical condition before pushing him over the edge. She then allegedly went into the hospital to validate her parking. Police arrested her four hours later as she drove near the hospital.
In court on Monday, Hermosillo did not enter a plea but agreed to have her arraignment continued to Sept. 30.
Simmons says it's not exactly clear why she was in a wheelchair, but it may have helped make it easier for her to get to court.
"She appears like she can walk and talk and move around OK. I think it was just easier for the transportation to getting her into the courtroom," Simmons said.
Hermosillo faces up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted.
arrest, legal, homicide investigation, orange county news, eileen frere
- Glendale Galleria $85K bracelet thief sought
- Colorado shooting victim dies at hospital
- Reseda shooting suspect ID'ed as Iraq war vet
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts
- Compton chase victim remembered by loved ones
- Van Nuys arsonist suspect sought by LAFD
- HB riot suspect sentenced to 12 days in jail
- Man arrested for suspected arson in Oxnard
- US holiday travelers brace for ice and snow
- Astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- SUV makers unveil new efficient features
- Amy Adams talks playing sexy con artist
- OTRC: Chuck Norris spoofs Van Damme's 'Epic Split'