Orange County News
OC warehouse, school evacuated due to suspicious packages
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Two suspicious packages forced the evacuation of the Santa Ana School District warehouse and a nearby school on Wednesday.
Authorities said the packages were delivered to the warehouse at 720 N. Fairview Street at 9:14 a.m. and were addressed to someone who did not exist within the district.
The warehouse takes in packages for the district and schools in the area.
"The name, we ran it, cross checked it with all district employees. It did not match. Usually packages that arrive here are to departments or they're bulk items, not individually addressed, so that was our first concern," said Santa Ana School Police Chief David Valentin.
A bomb squad responded to the scene to investigate and deemed the packages safe. The sender and recipient of the packages have yet to be located.
Police said that the packages that were sent to the warehouse are about 2 feet by two feet. On the outside, writing can be seen in English and a foreign language that they have not yet identified.
Twenty-five employees at the warehouse were evacuated, and Community Day High School was also evacuated. Nearly 70 students were taken to another location. Evacuations were lifted by afternoon.
Police say the packages were dropped off by UPS. In Anaheim at the same time on Wednesday, authorities say three similar packages were discovered at the UPS hub.
Two packages were also delivered on Tuesday at the same warehouse addressed to the same source, but those packages were deemed safe. Authorities said it was clothing and documents.
It was unknown if the packages were from the same source.
suspicious object, orange county news, eileen frere
- CO school shooting suspect dead, says sheriff 2 min ago
- Car bomb plot thwarted at Kansas airport
- Body found near East Los Angeles College
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park
- OC homicide: Roommate sought for questioning 3 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital
- 24 students arrested in school drug ring case
- 2nd woman in purported mercy killings ID'd
- Mega Millions jackpot rockets to $425 million 16 min ago
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- Mom with cancer inspires daughter's friend
- Bruno Mars named Billboard's 2013 top artist
- Beyonce releases surprise album on iTunes
- OTRC: Bradley Cooper talks 'American Hustle'