Orange County News
OC warehouse, school evacuated due to suspicious packages
SANTA ANA, Calif. (KABC) -- Two suspicious packages forced the evacuation of the Santa Ana School District warehouse and a nearby school on Wednesday.
Authorities said the packages were delivered to the warehouse at 720 N. Fairview Street at 9:14 a.m. and were addressed to someone who did not exist within the district.
The warehouse takes in packages for the district and schools in the area.
"The name, we ran it, cross checked it with all district employees. It did not match. Usually packages that arrive here are to departments or they're bulk items, not individually addressed, so that was our first concern," said Santa Ana School Police Chief David Valentin.
A bomb squad responded to the scene to investigate and deemed the packages safe. The sender and recipient of the packages have yet to be located.
Police said that the packages that were sent to the warehouse are about 2 feet by two feet. On the outside, writing can be seen in English and a foreign language that they have not yet identified.
Twenty-five employees at the warehouse were evacuated, and Community Day High School was also evacuated. Nearly 70 students were taken to another location. Evacuations were lifted by afternoon.
Police say the packages were dropped off by UPS. In Anaheim at the same time on Wednesday, authorities say three similar packages were discovered at the UPS hub.
Two packages were also delivered on Tuesday at the same warehouse addressed to the same source, but those packages were deemed safe. Authorities said it was clothing and documents.
It was unknown if the packages were from the same source.
suspicious object, orange county news, eileen frere
- LAPD Officer Lee honored at funeral service 45 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting
- LA sheriff candidates faceoff in 1st debate 2 min ago
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Ex-Manson follower granted parole for 3rd time 28 min ago
- Malaysia plane search widens into Andaman Sea
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Elizabeth Olsen engaged, report says