Orange County News
9/11 remnants delivered to Richard Nixon Library
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- It's been 10 years since the world watched the Twin Towers come crashing down into a heap of rubble. Now, a piece of that history is at the Nixon Presidential Library.
Twenty tons of tangled steel from the wreckage and a burnt New York City fire truck are now on display at in Yorba Linda. The items will be the centerpiece of the library's 10th anniversary remembrance of the Sept. 11 attacks.
"It still elicits the same emotions. It makes it feel really real to be able to touch it and see it, to see the pictures on the signs and actually see the fire truck that was there. It brings it home," said Cheryl Jackson of Yorba Linda.
It was a chance to remember, rally and honor.
"Everybody was just walking around in a state of shock. The firefighters and police officers were looking for their brothers. Families were looking for their family mates that hadn't showed up home," said Capt. Glenn Sekins of the Orange County Fire Authority. "As you came down the streets of New York, there were flags everywhere. It was just amazing."
The display will be open to the public all week, with appearances by Dick Cheney and first responders, culminating in an anniversary commemoration on Sept. 11, a day that will forever be in the hearts and minds of Americans.
orange county news, rudabeh shahbazi
- DTLA police search: armed, dangerous suspect 12 min ago
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies 24 min ago
- 1 dead, 9 injured in Fontana accident on 10W
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Police: 2 South LA fires may be connected
- Child molestation charges for teacher dropped
- Suspicious package found at post office near USC
- Female pedestrian struck, killed in Riverside
- LAX Terminal 7 partially evacuated over threat
- abcnews: Victim's mom halts killer's execution 4 min ago
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted
- Toddler found playing inside toy claw machine
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler