Orange County News
9/11 remnants delivered to Richard Nixon Library
YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) -- It's been 10 years since the world watched the Twin Towers come crashing down into a heap of rubble. Now, a piece of that history is at the Nixon Presidential Library.
Twenty tons of tangled steel from the wreckage and a burnt New York City fire truck are now on display at in Yorba Linda. The items will be the centerpiece of the library's 10th anniversary remembrance of the Sept. 11 attacks.
"It still elicits the same emotions. It makes it feel really real to be able to touch it and see it, to see the pictures on the signs and actually see the fire truck that was there. It brings it home," said Cheryl Jackson of Yorba Linda.
It was a chance to remember, rally and honor.
"Everybody was just walking around in a state of shock. The firefighters and police officers were looking for their brothers. Families were looking for their family mates that hadn't showed up home," said Capt. Glenn Sekins of the Orange County Fire Authority. "As you came down the streets of New York, there were flags everywhere. It was just amazing."
The display will be open to the public all week, with appearances by Dick Cheney and first responders, culminating in an anniversary commemoration on Sept. 11, a day that will forever be in the hearts and minds of Americans.
orange county news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Race for Los Angeles mayor too close to call 6 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete 12 min ago
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- Trutanich concedes to Feuer for city attorney 16 min ago
- LA search-and-rescue on standby for Oklahoma
- Prosecutors shed light on Maribel Ramos murder
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts on 2 girls
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10