Orange County News
Coyote kills small dog in Huntington Beach
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Residents in a gated community in Huntington Beach say there have been several incidents involving coyotes in the last few days, including one in which a Yorkshire terrier was killed.
Jennifer Clark said her dog was snatched from her yard about 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
"It was very aggressive and it came right up to the steps of my house," said Clark, who was with her two children at the time. "What I thought was a dog, it was a coyote."
Clark said she saw the coyote get close to her dog, then it "picked her up by the back of her neck and just started running.
One resident claims the coyote chased her and her dog just moments earlier. She said she was able to get away from the coyote by climbing up onto a car and screaming for help.
"This coyote is huge, it looks like a German shepherd," said Isaac Clark. "I came within five feet of it. It's large, it's not in fear of humans. It's very concerning of what it could do."
Residents said they have called the Department of Fish and Game but to no avail. They said they have seen at least three different coyotes in the complex.
Last week, a coyote attacked a schnauzer, leaving the small dog with two serious bite wounds.
Residents said nearly half a dozen dogs have disappeared in as many days. They said what worries them most is the wild animals' lack of fear.
"Your natural reaction, whether you're an adult or a child, is you're going to grab your dog and pick it up to try to protect it," Cindy Clark said. "It wants to keep coming and so it's going to end up hurting the owner, whether it's an adult or a child, in order to get its prey. That's what's different now and has us all very nervous."
Residents said authorities haven't taken action.
Orange County Animal Care says it doesn't trap or eradicate coyotes unless they become aggressive.
Residents said that's just what's happening. They said they will meet with a trapper Monday to see what can be done.
animal news, orange county news, leanne suter
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- LA sheriffs rescue stranded family of seven
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma 54 min ago
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list