Orange County News
Coyote kills small dog in Huntington Beach
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Residents in a gated community in Huntington Beach say there have been several incidents involving coyotes in the last few days, including one in which a Yorkshire terrier was killed.
Jennifer Clark said her dog was snatched from her yard about 7:30 a.m. Sunday.
"It was very aggressive and it came right up to the steps of my house," said Clark, who was with her two children at the time. "What I thought was a dog, it was a coyote."
Clark said she saw the coyote get close to her dog, then it "picked her up by the back of her neck and just started running.
One resident claims the coyote chased her and her dog just moments earlier. She said she was able to get away from the coyote by climbing up onto a car and screaming for help.
"This coyote is huge, it looks like a German shepherd," said Isaac Clark. "I came within five feet of it. It's large, it's not in fear of humans. It's very concerning of what it could do."
Residents said they have called the Department of Fish and Game but to no avail. They said they have seen at least three different coyotes in the complex.
Last week, a coyote attacked a schnauzer, leaving the small dog with two serious bite wounds.
Residents said nearly half a dozen dogs have disappeared in as many days. They said what worries them most is the wild animals' lack of fear.
"Your natural reaction, whether you're an adult or a child, is you're going to grab your dog and pick it up to try to protect it," Cindy Clark said. "It wants to keep coming and so it's going to end up hurting the owner, whether it's an adult or a child, in order to get its prey. That's what's different now and has us all very nervous."
Residents said authorities haven't taken action.
Orange County Animal Care says it doesn't trap or eradicate coyotes unless they become aggressive.
Residents said that's just what's happening. They said they will meet with a trapper Monday to see what can be done.
animal news, orange county news, leanne suter
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added 43 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought 36 min ago
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 21 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple 3 min ago
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate