Orange County News
Chapman University to buy Crystal Cathedral
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A buyer has been chosen for the Crystal Cathedral in Orange County.
The cathedral's board of directors endorsed selling its campus to Chapman University.
It's part of a bankruptcy reorganization plan. Under the plan, the church would still be allowed to use several buildings on the Garden Grove campus, including the sanctuary.
The church would also have the option to repurchase the buildings from Chapman.
The deal will take effect if the church can't raise the funds to keep the campus by mid-November.
A federal bankruptcy judge still must rule on the reorganization plan. A hearing on the matter is scheduled for Nov. 14.
Chapman University, based in the nearby city of Orange, has offered to pay $50 million for the property, possibly for use as a medical school or other health sciences offerings, said a university spokeswoman.
The university said in a statement Wednesday that the plan, if approved, would provide Chapman with much-needed space to expand.
finance, orange county news
- Car rally to be held in honor of Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church 45 min ago
- Man wakes up locked inside dark empty plane
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- Pasadena apartment fire caused by heater
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- 2 sought in Lancaster home invasion robberies
- Rancho Santa Margarita crash leaves 5 injured
- VC suspicious death investigation underway 28 min ago
- abcnews: Couple accused of Craigslist murder
- Cold weather brings flight cancellations
- Ukraine capital facing anti-govt protest
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis