Orange County News
Chapman University to buy Crystal Cathedral
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A buyer has been chosen for the Crystal Cathedral in Orange County.
The cathedral's board of directors endorsed selling its campus to Chapman University.
It's part of a bankruptcy reorganization plan. Under the plan, the church would still be allowed to use several buildings on the Garden Grove campus, including the sanctuary.
The church would also have the option to repurchase the buildings from Chapman.
The deal will take effect if the church can't raise the funds to keep the campus by mid-November.
A federal bankruptcy judge still must rule on the reorganization plan. A hearing on the matter is scheduled for Nov. 14.
Chapman University, based in the nearby city of Orange, has offered to pay $50 million for the property, possibly for use as a medical school or other health sciences offerings, said a university spokeswoman.
The university said in a statement Wednesday that the plan, if approved, would provide Chapman with much-needed space to expand.
finance, orange county news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 27 min ago
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Protests against Monsanto held around world
- Wildfire breaks out north of Moreno Valley
- OC thieves sought for smash-grab robbery
- Ex-PTA president allegedly stole candy funds
- Man killed when Amtrak train collides with car
- Communications satellite launched into space
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- London attack: 3 more arrested in slaying
- Rogers, gay soccer player, joins LA Galaxy
- OTRC: Blake Shelton's Oklahoma benefit concert
- Eye on LA reveals sizzling hot summer guide
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
42 min ago