Orange County News
Garden Grove cop run over during traffic stop
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A police officer in Garden Grove was run over during a traffic stop on Wednesday morning. Authorities are searching for the suspect.
The suspect was identified as 28-year-old Marcos Gonzalez. He is wanted for the attempted murder of a Garden Grove motorcycle officer.
Authorities say the incident started out as a regular traffic stop at Brookhurst Street and Trask Avenue at about 9:30 a.m. According to police, Gonzalez was not wearing his seatbelt, and the officer was writing up a ticket.
Police say Gonzalez appeared nervous and was acting suspiciously, so the officer asked him to step out of the vehicle. Gonzalez was asked to sit on the curb while the officer called for a back-up officer.
All of a sudden, Gonzalez got back into his vehicle. The officer tried to stop him, but after a struggle, Gonzalez was able to get back into his car.
Lt. Jeff Nightengale of the Garden Grove Police Department said the suspect put the car into reverse, knocking the officer down with the car door, and then drove over him.
"The officer actually went underneath one of the tires of the car," Nightengale said.
Gonzalez then fled the scene. He was described as 5 feet, 8 inches tall, 220 pounds, with a soft cast on his leg. He was driving a green 2002 four-door Infiniti Q35 with tinted windows.
The officer was rushed to a local hospital for moderate injuries including abrasions and bruises. He is listed in good condition.
Anyone with information is urged to call the Garden Grove Police Department at (714) 741-5800.
orange county news, eileen frere
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- IE suspect found after escaping from police
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Malaysia missing jet: Stolen passports probed
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants