Orange County News
Calif. Army National Guard soldiers, families reunite at Los Alamitos
LOS ALAMITOS, Calif. (KABC) -- Soldiers from the California Army National Guard returned home Thursday to family members overjoyed to see them for the first time in a year.
There were tears, laughter and hugs all around as family and friends greeted their loved ones who have been deployed in Iraq.
Jessica Inostros reunited with her husband Anthony, with their 15-month-old daughter in tow. The couple said they looked forward to spending quality family time now that he's back home.
Nearly 500 soldiers of the 640th Aviation Support Battalion returned home, touching down at the Los Alamitos Army Airfield. Thursday's homecoming marks the single largest return of California National Guard Troops since President Barack Obama's October announcement of the complete withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq before the end of the year.
For the past year in Iraq, the 640th Aviation Support Battalion was assigned to maintenance, fueling and logistics for 250 helicopters.
"We were based out of Taji for the most part, which is just north of Baghdad, and we didn't know whether we were going to be replaced in theater or not because last-minute changes kept coming," said Cmdr. Lou Carmona. "At the end of the day, the decision was made to come home, and here we are."
The battalion also helped train the Iraqi army.
iraq war, u.s. troops, orange county news
- NKorea deports captive American war veteran
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, dad shot
- Ex-detective arrested for tipping off gang 38 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- New Mexico cop fired after minivan shooting
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela
- 6 detained in theft of radioactive material
- Robo-seal pups help patients fight dementia
- Long Beach motorcycle show offers demo rides
- 'Out of the Furnace' showcases pacing, acting 22 min ago
- OTRC: Grammys 2014 - list of nominees
- Latest weather with Dallas Raines
31 min ago