Orange County News
Federal judge OKs diocese to acquire Crystal Cathedral
GARDEN GROVE, Calif. (KABC) -- A federal bankruptcy judge Thursday approved a plan by the Orange County Roman Catholic Diocese to acquire the debt-ridden Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove.
The Crystal Cathedral board members voted on Thursday for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange to buy the campus.
Chapman University and the Catholic Diocese of Orange had both made offers.
The court heard from dozens of people mostly in favor of Chapman University buying the property. The university increased its offer on Wednesday night to $59 million, and the school is willing to let Crystal Cathedral followers continue to use the glass church if the bid is accepted.
Under the Chapman bid, the church would be allowed to operate the Memorial Gardens cemetery as well as continue to broadcast the TV program "Hour of Power."
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange has a $57 million bid.
As approved, Crystal Cathedral followers would have to find another place of worship in a few years, and the "Hour of Power" program would no longer be broadcast from the Crystal Cathedral.
The Memorial Gardens cemetery will be run by the Diocese, but it assured the bankruptcy judge that the cemetery will continue to be a resting place for anyone who is already there or has purchased plots there, regardless of whether they're Catholic.
finance, orange county news
- Rizzo gets 12 years in prison for corruption 29 min ago
- Jury deadlocks in OC distracted driving case 51 min ago
- 290 missing, 6 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4
- 3 'pimps' busted for Compton prostitution ring 12 min ago
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Lake Elsinore man arrested for assault
- Possible 5th victim sought in serial murders
- Boston Marathon hoax: Suspect is bipolar
- Pro-Russian insurgents seize armored vehicles 2 min ago
- abcnews: 10 most awful jobs for 2014 revealed
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced 56 min ago
- OTRC: AC/DC: Malcolm Young taking break